Over the past year Dr Gill Westhorpe from Community Matters has been undertaking an evaluation of Family by Family, focussing on not just if Family by Family creates change for families but how it creates change.Download the report and read it for yourself!
The report’s key findings include:
- Family by Family recruits families in genuine need of support – 62.5% were categorised as ‘stuck’ or ‘in and out of crisis’ and a further 30% as ‘moving on after crisis’.
- Family by Family improves family interaction and health.
- Outcomes for families improve over time – 90% said things were ‘better’ or ‘heaps better’.
- Family by Family’s strongest impact is in factors that are ‘internal to the individual’ – self esteem, believing one’s choices make a difference, and having a positive orientation to the future.
What these findings indicate is that our Theory of Change is effective.
The interactions and activities which make up Family by Family – our link ups, coaching sessions, camps, training & gatherings – all serve to strengthen families and create change.
Family by Family creates change by:
- increasing choice and control,
- strengthening attachment between parents and children,
- enabling behaviour modelling,
- facilitating goal setting, accountability and reflection,
- increasing reciprocity, and
- increasing practical assistance.
You can download the full evaluation report here.Tags: Events, Family by Family, Publications, scale, TACSI